Monday, March 21, 2016

SUNBULA

Sunbula is a very small boutique that Chris Heiner introduced me to in Jerusalem. A couple of weeks ago we found it closed but today we were in luck!




Sunbula is a Jerusalem-based nonprofit Fair Trade organization that supports Palestinian craft producers: women‘s groups, artisan cooperatives and disabled people‘s organizations. The handicrafts are from women living in difficult conditions in the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip and the Palestinian minority inside Israel. I found a beautiful little handbag and paid $24 for it. The quality is superb and the $$ I paid supports Bethelhem Arab women from villages and refugee camps.

Each product is made by hand with great care and in the spirit of preserving Palestinian craft traditions. When we go into the Old City, we see similar handicrafts but not this quality.

Initially the purpose of my visit to Sunbula was to find something special for the birth of upcoming grandson. Chris bought the little dress in the middle for a granddaughter but I wanted something dressy for our grandson.

Isn't the Palestinian embroidery beautiful? Everything is done by hand and not by machine and I can't imagine the hours it takes to make just one item.


I saw a carving about 5" tall of of Mary and baby Jesus. I should have taken a photo of it but it was the quality I was looking for. It was one of those carvings you wanted to hold and caress because it was so smooth to the touch.
There were miniature creches and the one of sheep's wool was the most unusual I've ever seen.

There were beautifully painted little boxes, soaps and olive oil, and gorgeous pottery and plates.


Pillows, home decor and jewelry were also on display.


I LOVE this hand bag!


I might have to buy one of these canvas bags!

The tree outside was in full bloom.

We needed to leave but I can assure you this is one place I will return to and take any visitors who are interested.

2 comments:

  1. Here's yet another place you've been blessed to find but we didn't know about. We have so many reasons to want to come back! Lovely pictures. I did purchase some lovely little wallets from a couple the Gunthers introduced us to named Zydun (husband) and Jehad (wife). They lived in Bet Safafa and were happy to bring things to the Center for us to purchase. Lovely couple. We even had them give us a fireside one evening and tell their stories to the couples at the Center in the Gunther's apartment. Do the Smiths know them? The Gunthers might have introduced them to the Smiths before they left. They also had beautiful handmade items made by the Palestinian women.

    ReplyDelete