Thursday, March 10, 2016

Hassidic Jews and side curls

Recently I was asked, "Why do Orthodox Jews not cut their side curls?" From what I understand, (correct me if I'm wrong) this is one of the "do-nots" in the Torah that only applies to men. In Leviticus 19:27 it states: "Do not cut the hair on the corners of your head; do not cut the corners of your beard."
Commentaries explain the first part of the verse to mean that hair may not be completely removed from the side burn area, at least from the cheekbone and up around the ear. Hassidic Jews take upon themselves a stringency to not cut the side burn hairs at all, leaving them long enough to either curl, wrap behind their ears, or tie behind their heads. There is no rule that the hair needs to be curled - it is simply a matter of convenience. When we had Arab night at the Jerusalem Center, the professor's young son had his side curls wrapped behind his ears. That was the first time I had seen anyone do that to their curls. Non-Hassidic Jews fulfill this commandment in one of two ways: by allowing the sideburns to grow down to the cheekbone or by not shaving above the cheekbone.

2 comments:

  1. You have to admire people of their outward signs of devotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen your blog is amazing and I feel like I am in Jerusalem too. I have been reading stories and photos you posted on the blog almost every day.I am absolutely delighted that you able to find all these difference cultures in Jerusalem.
    Thank you for all these amazing stories you posted.
    God bless you and good night

    ReplyDelete