Thursday, November 10, 2016

Veteran's Day - November 11

Today is Veterans Day. It is an official US holiday that honors military veterans who served in the US Armed Forces. It coincides with other holidays, including Armistice Day and Remembrance Day, celebrated in other countries that mark the anniversary of the end of World War I. Interestingly, major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 when the Armistice with Germany went into effect.
In addition, November 11 is a very special day to me because it is my father's birthday. Sylvan Bigelow Wood was born in Cardston, Alberta, Canada in 1908 and was such a humble, honest and wonderful man. My father and I shared a very special relationship. He was selfless . . . always helping the needy, going the extra mile for others, and an extremely hard worker.
Photo: Benjamin and Fern Wood with baby Sylvan in Canada.
Photo: Sylvan B. Wood. I have always adored this photo of my father.
Photo: The Wood family had four boys who were all born and raised in Canada and my father was the oldest.
Photo: My father in Canada just before he married my mother. He met my mother when they were both teens when she was visiting Canada with her family one summer from Idaho. They communicated through letters and he drove his model-T car to see her when she was attending BYU. On the way to Utah, he stopped and saw my grandparents, J. Emer & Maudell Harris. He asked permission to marry my mother so he proposed to her and they eloped!
Photo: This photo was taken in Honolulu with my brother when I was a baby.
Photo: I was three years old in this photo and the reason I include it is because my father always had a camera on his side. This was taken in front of our home in Boise, Idaho, where I grew up. This is the only hard copy photo I have of myself at this age because most of the photos my father took were 16 mm movies. This brings back so many fond memories of a wonderful life with my family in Boise, Idaho.
Photo: Taken at our wedding reception in Boise. My mother had died in a tragic car accident the previous year.
Photo: August 9, 1966.
Photo: My father was a very gentle, loving individual. During the depression, he had to drop out of school and only attended up to the 8th grade. He was needed to work in the slaughter house and butcher shop. It was hard work but he was always willing to do whatever was necessary to help his family. He yearned for more education but loved to read so was self taught. He was talented with his hands and could make or build anything. I always remembered his as a carpenter and whenever I smell sawdust, I think of him. He built homes, made beautiful cabinets and could even fix cars. I was blessed with a wonderful father who loved my mother and his family.
Photo: This is the last photo I have of my father. His life was taken short when he died as a result of a homicide. Even though he has been gone since 1980, I often feel him close. I am grateful for such a wonderful father whom I've always been proud to call my father. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DADDY!
Nov. 11th is also a special day because it was the day our daughter, Keri Lyn, married Keith Smith.
Yes, November 11th is a very special day!

1 comment: